[OPE-L:7358] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: interpreting Marx's texts

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 22:38:40 EDT

Re: [OPE-L:7352] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re:  interpreting
Mar
Diego writes:

I disagree. Ricardo and Marx wanted what Mattick and you say but wanted to explain prices too. Of course the object of a theory of value is not to explain every price of every commodity at every moment in time at a hyper-individualistic level. Its object is however to explain the main trends in the value of the main types of commodities or sectors because this amounts to explain the heterogeneous and unequal process of capital accumulation which in turn determines the process of allocation of labor inside the economy.

How could it have have been Marx's objective in three volumes of Capital to provide a theory of the determination of individual or sectoral commodity prices and relative prices or even the real general price level since he
1. never dropped the assumption of a constant value of money
2. he never broke down his transformation tables into unit values
3. He never factored in different turnover times or the role of monopolies in his transformation tables, etc.?

I guess you are referring to Alfredo Saad-Filho. I promise to read this book.

Yes, and I feel quite silly not to have got Alfredo's name right; perhaps if we meet in person, I shall not make this embarrassing error again. But I promise you the book is quite illuminating.

All the best, Rakesh