[OPE-L:7359] Re: Re: Re: Re: interpreting Marx's texts

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 22:38:55 EDT

re 7343

>Rakesh, I have two questions of clarification for now:
>
>1.  What do you think is the difference between "conceptual
>determination" and "calculation"?  Why do you prefer "calculation" over
>"conceptual determination"?  And what exactly is "real
>determination"?  How is "real determination" related to  "conceptual
>determination"?
>
>2.  What would you say Marx was doing in the determination of prices of
>production in Part 2 of Volume 3: "real determination" or  "conceptual
>determination" or  "calculation"?
>
>I look forward to your replies and to further discussion.

Fred,
thanks for the reply. the questions which you posed are difficult
ones--I am still hoping that Anwar will reply to your important
challenge.  Before I provide my answers, let me clear something else
up.

Meek says that Marx attempted  a journey from values to prices of production.

Now you are argue that Marx attempted a journey from givens in money,
not values, yet if the sum of invested money that you take as a given
was in turn determined more or less by the prices of production of
the means of production and wage goods which served as inputs, then
aren't you saying that Marx simply made a journey from prices of
production  to prices of production? The seemingly tautologous nature
of your theory of price derivation has provoked criticism before.

Moreover, since you argue that prices of production do have the
property of long term equilibrium prices, how does your monetary
macro interpretation allow us to know that the prices of production
which Marx derives could have been the  prices of production for the
inputs the monetary purchase of which you take as the given?

It does not seem to me that your theory moves us any closer to
proving that Marx does have a valid theory of equilibrium prices. And
as Andrew argued, once you agree that prices of production have to be
equilibrium ones, you cannot but arrive at the same prices of
production which are yielded by the formalism of simultaneous
equations. You then countered that your prices of production will be
different than Bortkiewicz's or Sraffa's because you take the money
wage rather than the real wage as the given.

But that leads us back to the same problem. If you take the money
wage as given, presumably that was determined more or less by the
prices of production of wage goods. Which then again yields the
question of whether we can be sure that your monetary-macro prices of
production for the output which is wage goods could have been the
same prices of production for the input wage goods. You argue that
they have to be the same prices of production, but I don't see how
you show that they indeed are. How do you prove that your macro
monetary prices of production would allow the economy settle down
into price equilibrium?

Now since Carchedi does not assume that the prices of production
which Marx derives for the outputs are, have to be, or could have
been the same as the prices of production for the inputs, he does not
have a similar burden. Some will say that a true price of production
theory should be able to pass a Walrasian test of equilibrium, so
Carchedi is wrong not to worry about whether the prices of production
which he derives for each sequence are equilibrium ones. But this
objection makes no sense to me. The equilibrium test would only be
valid if it were true that a theory which does not hold in
equilibrium cannot hold in a dynamic framework. But that does not
follow; moreover, since Marx's theory of prices of production only
holds for capitalist reality, why should the theory be valid for a
state in which the capitalist economy never finds itself, viz.
equilibrium? Why should any theory of price in a bourgeois economy
pass the equilibrium test?

But you argue  against the TSS school that Marx's prices of
production have to be equilibrium prices without proving that Marx in
fact derived prices which can serve as long term centers of gravity.

And this finally brings us to Shaikh who does in fact attempt to show
how one can proceed from prices proportional to values (simple or
direct prices) to equilibrium prices of production which can regulate
the prices of both the inputs and the outputs. Your macro monetary
theory does not demonstrate that Marx in fact derived equilibrium
prices of production. So in terms of demonstrating what both you and
Shaikh think has to be demonstrated--Marx's prices of production can
be equilibrium prices, and determined by labor value
magnitudes--Shaikh's approach is simply better, though you are in
fact correct that Marx does not begin with values or simple prices
but with the sum of money which actual capitalists had to have laid
out to commence the circuit of capital and that there is no need to
transform the inputs (of course an inverse transformation is needed).

Yet if we have equilibrium prices of production, the technical
conditions and the distributional parameters have to be constant. It
is argued that if we have data of the technical conditions and
distributional parameters we do not need values to calculate the
prices of production. Moreover, it is argued  values can only be
inferred from the technical conditions. So then the objection is why
do we need to make reference to value at all in the calculation of
prices of production. Moreover, once we take the technical conditions
and real wage as given, it does not matter whether we start from
prices which are proportional to values or prices which have some
random relation to values (I take this to be Hodgson's argument on
p.91-92  of the Value Controversy):  the fixed point iteration
through its own process will arrive at the same equilibrium prices of
production whether or not we begin with prices proportional to values
or say 20 periods into the iteration in which prices will no longer
be proprotional to values.   Why is value not simply redundant?

This is the question which Shaikh attempted to answer.

All the best, Rakesh