[OPE-L:7508] RE: Re: Naples on gold

From: mongiovg (mongiovg@stjohns.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 13:23:57 EDT

Hi. Two points on this:

(1) Sraffa's model can accommodate rents.  His chapter 11 is concerned with
non-reproducible scarce resources. Of course, Sraffa's treatment of rent is
different from both Marx's and Ricardo's, but as with his determination of the
profit rate, I would argue that the differences stem mainly from the fact that
Sraffa had more sophisticated tools at his disposal. The root question is
whether Sraffa, Marx and Ricardo are concerned with essentially the same
theoretical problems, at any rate in their discussions of value. In earlier
posts Fred has argued that M&R had much the same project and that Sraffa's
project was different from theirs. M&R were trying to articulate some very
complicated issues at a time when economic discourse did not have a unified
conceptual language. These difficulties have parallels in our own problems of
intertreting that earlier discourse. I would argue that when Marx, in striving
for a clarity he never achieved, expresses himself in a particular way that is
different from the way SRaffa or Ricardo poses a question, he may not in fact
be articulating a theoretical framework that is fundamentally different from
Sraffa's, but is instead trying to develop a language of discourse that was
not available at the time. That is to say, I think Fred is supposing that,
because Marx EXPRESSED himself in terms that are very different from those of
modern economics, he must have been TALKING ABOUT something different from the
issues we find in Sraffa.

(2) Differential profit rates are also compatible with Sraffa's framework:
instead of multiplying the input matrix by a scalar uniform rate of return,
one multiplies by a diagonal matrix in which the elements on the diagonal
represent the sectoral profit rates.  These can of course be equal except for
the few sectors for which monopoly elements block intersectoral capital flows.
I don't think Marx understood differential profit rates as analagous to rents
(Gil might disagree about this), but, be that as it may, Fred's objection
doesn't seem cogent to me.  Whether the numeraire is produced by a sector that
earns the general normal profit rate is irrelevant to its ability to function
as a standard for expressing relative prices: y apples can be swapped for x
units of numeraire gold; why should gold-sector capitalists have to earn a
rate of return different from the normal competitive profit rate in order for
us to be able to put gold to this use in a Marxian context?

Ciao,

Gary