[OPE-L:7507] Re: Re: textbook for "History of Economic Thought" course?

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (bellofio@cisi.unito.it)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 09:54:28 EDT

I would add to this very good selection by Rakesh:

Claudio Napoleoni, Smith, Ricardo, Marx, Blackwell 1975

idem, Economic Thought of the XXth Century, Martin Robertson 1972(?)

but even Roll (especially 1st edition) or Blaug, here and there, are very good.

However, most of these are out of print (as, I fear, Heimann, Anikin,
Routh, Rubin), or outdated, or too difficult or too unilateral.

I think that what matters most are the audience and the aim.

What I would like to do, and I've actually done some times in
courses, is to use very 'special' history of economic thought books,
the ones by Marx, Boehm Bawerk, Schumpeter.

So, if one does the Classicals, it would be interesting to compare,
say, Marx on Smith and Ricardo in TSV, on one side, and Sraffa's
Introduction on the other. If one does Marx, compare Boehm Bawerk's
criticism and some excerpts from Rubin's Essays, etc.

But this of course requires some prior knowledge both of the authors
and the critics. And a lot of work by the teacher.

A couple of very good books have been published in French recently.

A very short and simple introduction by Backhouse has just been
printed by Penguin.

rb

--

Riccardo Bellofiore