[OPE-L:7525] RE: A breif reply to Rakesh

From: mongiovg (mongiovg@stjohns.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 15:35:13 EDT

I agree that to serve as MONEY a commodity must be scarce.  But it need not be
scarce to serve as a NUMERAIRE. A subtext of this discussion is whether it is
useful (or possible) to discuss the mechanisms that connect prices,
distribution and the technical conditions of production separately from the
role money plays in a market economy.  I've argued that it is both possible
and useful.  Naples maintains that it is not possible, but her (and other)
efforts to integrate the two kinds of issues have, on the whole, not been very
successful.

Let me underscore that I DO NOT BELIEVE that monetary phenomena are irrelevant
to distribution: my position is that we can learn something useful about
distribution by separating, in our theoretical work, the aspects of
distribution that do not concern money or finance from the aspects of it that
do.

Regards,

Gary