[OPE-L:7526] RE: Re: RE: Re: Naples on gold

From: mongiovg (mongiovg@stjohns.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 15:43:13 EDT

Another brief response to Rakesh.  I also agree that on questions of money,
Marx is superior to Ricardo.  Sraffa was an extremely astute monetary
economist--as perceptive, I think, as Keynes. Check out his baccalaureate
thesis, on the Italian inflation that accompanied and followed the First World
War: a tranmslation appeared in the Cambridge Journal a few years ago.  It's a
masterpiece of institutional political economy.  Then there is Sraffa's
disabling critique of Hayek's monetary theory of the trade cycle. This work, I
think, bears out my claim that questions relating to money can usefully be
separated from foundational questions about how prices, distrubution and the
technical conditions of produciton are related to one another.

Gary