[OPE-L:7589] Re: Re: Re: RE: Fred's remarks on Marx, Sraffa & Rents

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 08:38:11 EDT

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002, Rakesh Bhandari wrote:

> It is of course true  that absolute rent can be explained on the
> basis of price- "untransformed value" equilibrium as long as the OCC
> is lower in these branches than the social average. But Marx also
> notes that this is a weak basis for the persistence of absolute rent
> since the OCC in these branches may approach the economy average. So
> the theory of rent developed before competition  is hardly developed
> at all.

It is important to emphasize here that the value of gold is determined by
the labor-time requirements in the LEAST PRODUCTIVE mines, not by the
labor-time requirements in the mines of average productivity.  Therefore,
the relevant composition of capital for comparison with the social average
composition of capital is the composition of capital in the least
productive mines, not the composition of capital in the mining industry as
a whole.  The composition of capital in the least productive mines is
likely to be low, and lower than the social average composition of
capital.

This hypothesis of course still has to be tested with data from the gold
standard period.  During the 19th century (to the extent that gold was
produced by capitalist enterprises and not by simple commodity producers),
the composition of capital in the gold industry as a whole was very low
and almost certainly lower than the social average (Ricardo remarked that
the ratio of capital to labor was below average in the gold
industry).  The composition of capital in the gold industry no doubt
increased in the 20th century, but my impression is that it is still very
labor intensive, even in the most productive mines, and especially in the
least productive mines, which are the relevant mines for comparison with
the social average composition of capital.

Does anyone know of any possible sources of data related to the
composition of capital in the gold industry during the gold standard
period?  Thanks in advance.

In the unlikely case that the composition of capital in the least
productive gold mines were not less than the social average, and if gold
exchanged at its value, then the rate of profit in the gold industry would
be below the average rate of profit in other industries, and there would
be no absolute rent.  But rent would still have to be paid somehow to the
owners of these mines. In other mining and agricultural industries, this
could be accomplished by the price of the commodity rising above both its
value and its price of production, so that surplus-value would be
appropriated from other industries, in the form of monopoly
rent.  However, this is not possible in the gold industry because gold has
no price that could rise above its value and price of production.

It seems to me that, since it is not possible to increase the price of
gold, the only way to make possible  both the average rate of profit and
rent in the gold industry would be to have very low wages (much lower than
average) and a very high rate of surplus-value.  From this perspective,
apartheid in S. Africa may have been due in part to the necessity to
enforce very low wages, in order to offset a higher than average
composition of capital in the S. African gold mines.  I say "may" because
I still think that the composition of capital in the S. African gold mines
was probably lower than the world-wide social average composition of
capital, so all this is hypothetical.  But also interesting.

Comradely,
Fred