[OPE-L:7770] Re: Re: "Hic Rhodus, hic salta!"

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (bellofio@cisi.unito.it)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 13:50:36 EDT

At 18:09 -0300 7-10-2002, Francisco Paulo Cipolla wrote:
>My dictionary of Latin and Greek sentences says that sometimes Hic Rhodus, hic
>salta is used to mean (unproperly) "here is the difficulty". The impression I
>have from the context is that Marx is using the phrase exactly in this
>imprecise  and "distorted" way.
>Historically it refers to someone who was proud of the jump he gave when in
>Rhodes. So someone said: Rhodes is here, jump here. This does not fit  well
>with the context in which Marx employed the phrase.
>Fredīs interpretation, or use of the that as evidence for his view, seems
>farfetched to me. At most that would establish the difficulty to overcome, or
>as Marx says, the conditions of the problem (sale at value and at the same
>time obtaining more value). Precisely the unprecise way of using that phrase
>according to my dictionary.
>Paulo

yes, I think this is the meaning (here's the difficulty: also Rosa
Luxemburg loved it). I guess the expression is taken from Aesopus
(old memories: no time to check now). May be Foley (not he: she) may
be the right person to ask. provided somebody could ask ...

riccardo

--

Riccardo Bellofiore
Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche