[OPE-L:7779] Re: Re: "Hic Rhodus, hic salta!"

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 13:30:49 EDT

Jerry, you seem to be talking about a different "two-stage" method that
what I had in mind as a description of Riccardo's interpretation,
according to which (1) a hypothetical total surplus-value (proportional to
the labor-time embodied in surplus goods) is determined in Volume 1 and
(2) then this is transformed into the actual total surplus-value - a
different magnitude - in Volume 3.

Your "two-stage" method, on the other hand, is:  (1) the determination
of a hypothetical total surplus-value after production and (2) the
determination of the actual total surplus-value after sale.

If there is no difficulty in the sale of commodities, then the actual
total surplus-value determined after sale is equal to the total
surplus-value determined in production, right?  In other words, in this
case, the total surplus-value determined in production is the actual total
surplus-value, and not a hypothetical total surplus-value proportional to
the labor-time embodied in surplus goods, as in Riccardo's interpretation.

I argue that Marx assumed throughout Volume 1 (and indeed generally
throughout the three volumes) that there is no difficulty in the sale of
commodities, so that the actual total surplus-value determined after sale
is equal to the total surplus-value determined in production.  In your
list of references in (7755), none are from Volume 1.  And in the
references from the other two volumes, I only found two passages that
mention the possibility of difficulties in the sale of commodities, and
these two were very brief passing comments (C.II. 124 and
C.III. 352).  The other passages mention the different phases of the
production of surplus-value in production and the realization of
surplus-value in circulation, but they do not mention difficulties in this
realization.  If there are no difficulties of realization, then the total
surplus-value realized is equal to the total surplus-value determined in
production.

Comradely,
Fred