[OPE-L:7790] product differentiation (was "Hic Rhodus, hic salta!")

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 07:43:21 EDT

Re  [7783]:

"Jerry, the inner need to product differentiation is developed by Marx
in the  Grundrisse: it comes out of the process of increasing productivity
which tends  to saturate social need (=demand at market value). It is
posed as the conflict  between the endless expansion of value by capital
versus limited capacity to  absorb use value on the part of humans.
Unfortunately I donīt have any more time now but I am very interested in
this > topic."

Hi Paolo.  What are the sections and page numbers of the _Grundrisse_
where  this is discussed?  I suspect that you (and Rakesh) are interpreting
the expression 'product  differentiation'  more generally than I was.  I was
using the expression to mean,  rather than an expansion of use-values
generally, a particular competitive strategy undertaken by firms in highly
concentrated markets.

In solidarity, Jerry