[OPE-L:7802] Re: Re: product differentiation

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 13:55:57 EDT

I had quoted Grossmann quoting Marx in commenting on Paolo's
provocative explanation of why wealth in bourgeois society  is
apparently characterized not only by a rising physical quantity of
commodities but also a growing diversity of use values.  Paolo has
effectively reminded us that accumulation has to be examined from
both the value and use value or physical dimensions.

The internal quote from Marx in the Grossmann passage contains a
mistake. Instead of competition, it should read CONSUMPTION.

>  > 'However use value--CONSUMPTION--depends not on
>  > value, but on the quantity. It is quite unintelligible why I should
>>  buy six knives because I now get them for the same price that I
>  > previously paid for one.' [Marx, TSVIII, p.119].

The section from TSV as a whole is not as richly suggestive for
Paulo's argument as the pages which he cites in the Grundrisse.

all the best, rakesh