[OPE-L:7803] Re: Re: Re: Re: "Hic Rhodus, hic salta!"

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@mtholyoke.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 12 2002 - 08:55:10 EDT

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Riccardo Bellofiore wrote:

> I agree with you that Marx likely wanted the first and third
> magnitudes as given thrroughout. I disagree with you that there is no
> evidence that Marx didn't explicitely say in vol I that the real wage
> is assumed to be given at the beginning of the period (is this true
> in fact? no. exactly as it is not necessarily true that all that is
> produced is sold).

1.  Riccardo, I am glad that you agree that Marx "likely wanted" the total
surplus-value to be unchanged in Volume 3.  But I argue that this
unchanging total surplus-value is much more than what Marx "likely
wanted".  This given, unchanging total surplus-value is the basic
assumption of Marx's theory of the distribution of surplus-value in Volume
3, which is repeated as an assumption in each and every part of Volume 3,
as I have shown in my papers.  The total surplus-value is taken as given
in Volume 3 because it has already been determined in Volume 1.  That the
total surplus-value remains unchanged in Volume 3 is not a conclusion or a
result, which Marx "likely wanted" to demonstrate, but is instead Marx's
basic assumption of Volume 3.  I think the textual evidence on this point
if very strong and consistent.

Riccardo, would you agree with this stronger wording?

2.  The main disagreement between Riccardo and me is the determination of
variable capital in Volume 1 and Volume 3.

I argue (along with the "new solution") that variable capital is TAKEN AS
GIVEN, as the money-capital advanced by capitalists to purchase
labor-power, and that this given money variable capital remains the same
in both Volume 1 and Volume 3.

Riccardo, on the other hand, argues (along with most other Marxists and
interpreters of Marx) that variable capital is DERIVED FROM A GIVEN
QUANTITY OF WAGE GOODS, and that therefore variable capital changes from
Volume 1 to Volume 3.  In Volume 1, variable capital is equal to the value
of the given wage goods, and in Volume 3 variable capital is equal to the
price of production of the same given wage goods.

I argue that there is considerable textual evidence to support my
interpretation that variable capital is taken as given, which I have
presented in several papers.  Riccardo has argued, and I agree, that there
is also textual evidence that Marx takes as given the quantity of wage
goods (or "means of subsistence") that provides the average, prevailing
standard of living. However, this does not necessarily mean that this
given quantity of wage goods is used to determine the magnitude of
variable capital in Marx's theory of surplus-value in Volume 1.

I argue that Marx's concept of variable capital refers to the ACTUAL money
wages paid by capitalists to workers (in the real capitalist economy as a
whole).  However, according to Marx's logical method, this actual money
wage cannot yet be determined in Volume 1, because this actual money wage
is identically equal to the price of the given wage goods, and the price
of wage goods cannot be determined in Volume 1.  The determination of the
price of wage goods has to do with the division of the surplus-value into
individual parts, and this division of surplus-value can be explained only
in Volume 3, after the total amount of surplus-value has been determined
in Volume 1.  Therefore, the actual money wage CANNOT be determined in
Volume 1 by the given quantity of wage goods, and is instead TAKEN AS
GIVEN in Marx's theory of surplus-value in Volume 1.

The given actual variable capital is then used in Volume 1 to explain the
actual surplus-value appropriated by capitalists (in the capitalist
economy as a whole).

So what role does the given quantity of wage goods play in Marx's theory?

It provides, first of all in Volume 1, a partial explanation of the given
actual variable capital in Volume 1 - that it is depends in part on the
value of the given wage goods.  Then in Volume 3, it provides a more
complete explanation of the given actual variable capital - that it also
depends on the equalization of profit rates across industries which
determines the price of production of the given wage goods.  But the given
quantity of wage goods CANNOT be used to determine the actual variable
capital in Volume 1, and therefore plays no role in the determination of
the actual surplus-value in Volume 1 (as explained above).  Instead, the
actual variable capital is taken as given, and used to determine the
actual surplus-value.

On the other hand, Riccardo's assumption of the determination of variable
capital by the given wage goods (first as the value of the given real wage
in Volume 1 and then as the price of production of the given real wage in
Volume 1) means that Riccardo's variable capital in Volume 1 is NOT equal
to the actual money wages paid to workers, but is instead equal to a
different magnitude, the value of the wage goods.  Riccardo's variable
capital in Volume 1 may be "actual" in some general sense of being real,
but it is NOT actual in the particular sense of what capitalists actually
pay to workers.

Furthermore, since Riccardo's variable capital in Volume 1 is different
from the actual money wages paid to workers, so also Riccardo's total
surplus-value is also different from the actual total surplus-value
appropriated by capitalists, and is instead equal to the value of
surplus-goods.  This "preliminary" total surplus-value must then be
transformed into the surplus-value actually appropriated by capitalists in
Volume 3.

Another way to assess these two interpretations of the determination of
variable capital is to examine the consistency of each interpretation with
other aspects of Marx's logical method, and in particular, with the key
aspect of Marx's method discussed above - the determination of the total
surplus-value in Volume 1 prior to its division into individual parts in
Volume 3.

My interpretation of a given money wage and an unchanging variable capital
is consistent with the prior determination of the total
surplus-value.  Since variable capital does not change from Volume 1 to
Volume 3, and neither does the total new-value produced, the total
surplus-value (the difference between new-value and variable capital) also
does not change from Volume 1 to Volume 3 (it is determined in Volume 1
and taken as given in Volume 3).

On the other hand, Riccardo's interpretation of the determination of
variable capital from a given real wage means that the variable capital
changes from Volume 1 to Volume 3.  Therefore the total surplus-value also
changes inversely, thereby contradicting Marx's basic assumption in Volume
3 of a given, unchanging total surplus-value.

Therefore, taking variable capital as given, as the money wage advanced,
is the more appropriate interpretation of Marx's method determination of
variable capital, because only this assumption is consistent with Marx's
basic assumption in Volume 3 of a given, unchanging total
surplus-value.  If, instead, one takes the real wage as given, this
contradicts the basic assumption of Volume 3, and the whole logic of
Volume 3 falls apart.

Why impose on Marx an assumption about the determination of variable
capital that contradicts his basic assumption regarding the determination
of the total surplus-value and leads to further "logical errors" allegedly
committed by Marx, since there is as much textual evidence to support the
contrary assumption?  Why not accept an interpretation of Marx's theory
that is supported by substantial textual evidence and that makes Marx's
theory a logically consistent whole?

Riccardo, thanks again for the discussion.

Comradely,
Fred