[OPE-L:7824] IGnobel Economics Prize

From: Asfilho@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 11:54:46 EDT

The 2001 IGnobel Economics Prize Winner

Every year at Harvard, an IGnobel prize awarded to a preposterous paper
published by an academic. Last years' award winner in economics was the
following: Joel Slemrod, of the University of Michigan Business School, and
Wojciech Kopczuk, of University of British Columbia, for their conclusion
that people find a way to postpone their deaths if that that would qualify
them for a lower rate on the inheritance tax. [REFERENCE:"Dying to Save
Taxes: Evidence from Estate Tax Returns on the Death Elasticity," National
Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper No. W8158, March 2001.]. Dont
believe me? Check out the link <http://papers.nber.org/papers/W8158>

Abstract:

This paper examines data from U.S. federal tax returns to shed light on
whether the timing of death is responsive to its tax consequences. We
investigate the temporal pattern of deaths around the time of changes in the
estate tax system periods when living longer, or dying sooner, could
significantly affect estate tax liability. We find some evidence that there
is a small death elasticity, although we cannot rule out that what we have
uncovered is ex post doctoring of the reported date of death. However, the
fact that we find that postponement, rather than acceleration, of death is
more likely to occur suggests that this phenomenon is at last partly a real
(albeit timing) response to taxation.