[OPE-L:7836] Re: Help with interstices

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 17 2002 - 21:33:21 EDT

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, John Holloway wrote:

> Does anyone know who said when and where that the transition from
> capitalism to communism was fundamentally different from the
> transition from feudalism to capitalism, in the sense that
> capitalism grew up in the interstices of feudalism, whereas
> communism could not grow up in the interstices of capitalism?

Not I (though I seem to recall reading or hearing something to that
effect), but here's maybe a start: the language of "interstices" was
used by Marx in Capital, I, ch 1, when he said:

"Trading nations, properly so called, exist in the ancient world only
in its interstices, like the gods of Epicurus in the Intermundia, or
like Jews in the pores of Polish society."

Allin Cottrell.