[OPE-L:7837] Re: Help with interstices

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 00:59:51 EDT

Re Aliin's [7836]:

> Not I (though I seem to recall reading or hearing something to that
> effect), but here's maybe a start: the language of "interstices" was
> used by Marx in Capital, I, ch 1, when he said:
> "Trading nations, properly so called, exist in the ancient world only
> in its interstices, like the gods of Epicurus in the Intermundia, or
> like Jews in the pores of Polish society."

Which curiously is very similar to what he wrote previously in the
_Grundrisse_:

        "At least this was the case with the Phoenicians,
        Carthagenians, etc. But this is a peripheral matter.
        They could live just as well in the interstices of the
        ancient world, as the Jews in Poland or in the Middle
        Ages, etc. Rather this world itself was the precondition
        for such trading peoples ...." (found in a word search at
        www.marxists.org in the M/E Archive for "interstices").

Interestingly, according to Mehring's biography of Marx (Chapter 3)
a perspective on Jews living in the interstices of the world ("the
nooks and crannies of bourgeois society") is attributed to Bruno
Bauer (found during a word search for "interstices" at the whole
site at www.marxists.org).

In solidarity, Jerry