[OPE-L:7872] John Holloway on time

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 20:08:26 EST

thanks to Jerry for the commoner website.

Time to Revolt

Reflections on Empire (1)

John Holloway

(October 2002)

>The negation of doing is the homogenisation of time. To deny
>social-purposive doing is to subordinate doing to being, to that
>which is. The doing of today is subordinated to the doing of
>yesterday, the doing of tomorrow can only be conceived as a
>continuation of the doing of today. Time then becomes tick-tick
>time, clock time, like a length of railway track. Tick-tick time
>measures duration, a being separated from doing, an existence
>separated from constitution. Capitalism is the separating of objects
>from their subjects, of things which are from the doing that made
>them, of existence from constitution. This separating creates
>duration, the notion that things 'are', independent of the doing
>which created them. Value, for instance, appears to have an
>existence independent of the self-divided doing which created it:
>Marx's Capital (the labour theory of value) is above all an attack
>on duration, a critique of the separation of existence and
>constitution, a restoration in thought of the doing denied by
>duration.
>One of the great advantages of this homogeneous time, duration-time,
>is that it can be broken up into periods, into lengths of time. This
>is crucial to the organisation of work in the factory and in the
>office and in the schools and universities. Homogeneous time is
>crucial in the organising of the doing of others for whom doing is
>purpose-less, object-less labour. But it goes further than that. It
>permeates our social thought, the way we shape and think about our
>social relations. Time becomes stodgy, almost solid, something that
>can be cut into wedges, into periods, into paradigms, a million
>miles removed from the timeless-time of intense love or engagement.
>But communism, a world in which we shape our own doing, a world in
>which doing is emancipated from being, a world in which doing and
>being, constitution and existence are explicitly reunited, can then
>be conceived only as a world in which we break the homogeneity of
>time, a world in which duration is shattered, in which time is not a
>long railway track or a slice of pizza, but tends towards the
>intensity of the Jetztzeit (now-time) of Benjamin (1973) or the nunc
>stans of Bloch (1964), towards the timeless-time of all-absorbing
>love or engagement.

An interesting comparison here may be with Henri Bergson who
constrasted homogeneous  time with what he meant by duration, a
notoriously elusive but key concept for which a flowing melody was
used as an example of the interpenetration of the only apparently
spatially separate past, present and future.  John treats homogeneous
time and duration as synonyms, though I wonder whether he has the
same distinction as Bergson's in mind?
John's work raises so many questions. I am only now beginning to
think through his very stimulating work. Of course approaching John's
comments here through the work of Bergson may not be very
illuminating. But I was just reminded of him because of John's usage
of homogeneous time and duration and because I had been reading a
draft of a chapter on Bergsonian vitalism. So this may well be a
false lead.
Yours, Rakesh