[OPE-L:7881] Re: John Holloway on time

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 16:38:40 EST

>Rakesh,
>
>     Many thanks for your comments.
>
>     I haven't read Bergson, but have been aware that I ought to. I hope I
>can get around to it soon.
>
>     In relation to value, it does seem to me that the labour theory of value
>is above all a critique of the object's negation of the subject which
>created it. (If the recently much discussed VFT - value form theory - does
>not mean this, then surely it ought to.) This surely also means a critique
>of the notion that an object has a durable existence independent of the
>labour which creates and re-creates it (through use), a critique, therefore
>of duration. I suspect the critique of value can be extended to a critique
>of nouns in general, since nouns deny the verbs which constitute them. This
>would make communism the movement of verbs against nouns - a
>self-determining society, in other words.
>
>     John

Dear John,
I am wondering  whether this critique of nouns and of perduring
things derives in any way from the process philosophy represented by
thinkers from Heraclitus to Bergson: the sun is not a thing but a
flaming fire, a river is not an object but an everchanging flow.  I
have not myself read Nicholas Rescher's book on process metaphysics,
though it was cited in the mss I was reading.
Having read Hardt and Negri's Empire, I was struck by its underlying
process metaphysics which seems to have been derived from the
idiosyncratic Bergsonian Gilles Deleuze.
If I can find the time, I would like to think through whether and how
you and Hardt and Negri have worked through the tradition of process
metaphysics in your respective ways.

Yours, Rakesh