[OPE-L:7960] Re: Re: relation of value to organic composition of capital

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 12:34:44 EST

Since Marx meant to study the impact of the development of the forces
of production on the relations of production, he needed a measure of
the VCC which would only allow for the effects of rising labor
productivity induced by techno-organization change. Just as Marx
assumes a constant monetary expression of labor time so that he can
isolate the effects of rising productivity on the commodity side of
the exchange equation, he invented a measure of the VCC which would
allow him to isolate the effects of rising labor productivity.

In my reading, the OCC is thus meant to measure only those changes in
the VCC that result from rising labor productivity effected by
techo-organizational change, i.e., the development of the productive
forces. Marx gives the example of a rising VCC in agriculture though
there has been no change in the TCC or the OCC or labor productivity
as a result of the increasing value of ever-scarcer fertilizer. Marx
somewhere gives another example (Capital, vol 2?). If the machinery
used per worker were the same in a copper-using and iron-using
industry but copper had less value than iron as a result of the
recent discovery, say,  of a very rich copper mine, then the TCC and
the OCC in both industries would be the same while the VCC of the
iron-using industry would be higher. Moreover, let us assume that the
technical configuration in copper mining has not changed upon
discovery of this new mine. Copper now has a cheaper unit value not
because of the development of the productive forces or
techno-organizational change but because of the good will of nature.
I think Marx meant to abstract from such effects--fortuitously
cheaper copper or scarcer fertilizer--on the VCC through the
invention of the OCC.

  However, in examination of total capital,  rising labor productivity
has a contradictory effect on the VCC as it purchased by a rising TCC
but results in declining unit values. More capital is used per worker
but capital is cheapened in the course of accumulation.  Marx thought
that as a result the OCC would rise more slowly than the TCC, but
many empirical analysts seem to have found that relatively stable
output-capital ratios, used as a proxy for the OCC, shows that the
contradiction need not be resolved as Marx thought. If capital is
being cheapened as a result of rising labor productivity more than it
is being substituted for labor, the OCC need not rise.

I don't think the contrast between VCC and OCC hinges on use of
constant as opposed to current prices but on the difference between
those changes in the value composition that are attributable to
rising labor productivity which results from the real development of
the productive forces and those changes in the VCC that are not so
attributable. And the OCC may or may not rise as a result of the
science-based development of the productive forces.

It seems to me that Marx's concepts (OCC) and methodological
assumptions  (constant value of money) arise out of his theory of
historical materialism, in which the contradiction betweenn the
forces of production and relations of production is thought to be
central.

Yours, Rakesh