[OPE-L:8093] Re: Re: Heisenberg, Marx and the uncertainty principle

From: Paul Cockshott (paul@cockshott.com)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 18:05:02 EST

Andrew Brown wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (1) I would be very interested to know your theoretical explanation
> for the correlations that you obtain.

This is a very difficult question.

At one level I would explain it by saying that labour is overwhelmingly
the main non-produced input to capitalist commodities, and as such
it will tend to drive the price system. It is the signal that shows through the
noise of random market fluctuations.

Another factor one has to explain is why the attractive force of labour
values is at least as strong as, if not stronger than the attractive force
of prices of production ( the price vector is at an angle in between the
value vector and the price of production vector ).
I would explain this in probabalistic/darwinian terms. The probability
of reproduction of a firm whose selling price falls below labour costs
is very low. This constrains almost all of the population of firms to
be selling at a price above prime costs. F and M show that if one
makes the very conservative assumption that the distribution of the
prices relative to labour costs is gamma, then this forces just the
observed correlation between prices and labour values.

There will also be a tendancy for firms whose rate of profit
is below the mean to be less likely to survive than those whose
profit is above the mean, but this pressure is less strong than
the previously mentioned one. This I think explains why
the price vector is between the value and price of production
vector.

> (2) Have there been significant criticisms of your own, and other
> people's, results? Am I right in thiniking Andrew Kliman has offered
> some criticisms?

Yes a paper by him appeared in the Cambridge Journal, Allin and I
have submited a reply to him which has been accepted for publication.

If you look at the archives there was a debate on this a year or so ago
which covered much of what was published  by him. Our reply is based
on an extension of the arguments that I made in the OPE debate.