[OPE-L:8155] Re: Re: 'Testing Marx or why the law of value holds'

From: Rakesh Bhandari (rakeshb@stanford.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 12:36:26 EST

Andrew B writes in 8152

>Dear Paul C and all,
>
>Though I have not the time to study the argument in great detail I
>very much appreciated Paul's theoretical explanation of why prices
>and labour times are closely correlated [8111].
>
>This explanation seems potentialy to be an important contribution
>to the debate on the transformation problem despite Paul's
>boredom with that literature. It is well known

though not by me and a few other people on this list. I shall just
rework a few old posts to register my disagreement with this hoary
idea.

>that in Vol 3, ch.9
>Marx's initial discussion does not transform the inputs.

If they are already transformed, e.g., the sum of money invested as
constant capital is already determined by k+(r)k of the means of
production, why do the inputs have to be transformed?

Marx never admitted to the need for the inputs to be transformed.
After he completes his transformation tables and recognizes
price-value disparity, Marx realizes that he had mistakenly  inferred
the value transferred gratis by workers from the means of production
from the cost price of the used-up means of production. But there is
an inverse transformation problem as Marx himself recognizes (Seton
and Samuelson both had recognized the possibility of this
interpretation)-- that is, it is in principle not possible to
determine the value transferred from the flow price data in each
branch because the price of the input means of production diverges
from their  value.

As Carchedi, Alejandro Ramos Martinez and Fred M. have repeatedly
emphasized, Marx is never denying that in his transformation tables
he began with the money sum which had been invested as constant and
variable capital; he is only underlining that  those goods had to
have sold at prices gravitating around their respective prices of
production, not their values. Which gives no reason to extend the
transformation from values to prices to the inputs. But it does give
us reason to question what the value of the used up means of
production actually was and thus the value which workers transferred
gratis to the commodity output.

Moreover, Marx is saying that while he assumed in his transformation
tables that the rate of exploitation is 100%, it may have been less
once we recognize that the price of production of wage goods could
have been greater than their value or the rate of exploitation may
have been greater if the price of production of the wage goods had
been less than their value. In other words, if the prices of wage
goods had exceeded their value, then the given sum of variable
capital allowed for the purchase of fewer labor hours and s/v had to
have been lower than Marx assumed; and if the price of production of
wage goods had been less than their value, then the given sum of
variable capital which is represented in the cost prices would have
allowed capital to purchase more labor hours and thus enjoy a higher
s/v than is represented in the transformation tables.

What Marx is emphasizing is not that the wage good "inputs" should be
transformed from values to prices (they could only have been bought
at their respective prices, and their prices--we know realize--had to
have gravitated around their prices of production). However,  to the
extent that Marx had assumed the rate of exploitation is 100% on the
condition wage goods sell at value (that is, the value of wage goods
in the subsistence basket is one half labor time performed) he now
has to correct the uniform 100% s/v rate which is simply posited in
his tables and thus the entries in the s column because  wage goods
could not have had sold at their value.

But Marx's point is that whatever the actual transferred from the
means of production and the new surplus value produced in each
branch, the value of the commodities will be greater than their cost
price and the resulting surplus value will tend to be distributed
according to the rule of a uniform profit rate the level of which is
thus explainable on the basis of the law of value. Marx is only
interested to show in bare outline the bare mechanics of the indirect
operation of the law of value. Which of course may be redundant if
the uniform rate of profit can be determined on the basis of physical
quantities, but this is a more important criticism of Marx than the
idea that he failed to transform the inputs. Marx himself never
admitted to any such thing. That is not the mistake which he is
laying bare in Capital 3, p. 265. Bortkiewicz read Marx incorrectly,
Sweezy accepted the mis-reading, Sweezy's text has been hegemonic.

Again: Marx underlined that the assumptions in his transformation
tables about the value transferred and s/v did not hold once he
recognized price-value divergence. But this does not imply any need
to complete the transformation of the inputs from values into prices
of production; one simply has to realize that the value magnitudes
are only represented through, albeit hidden by, the fetishistic price
form, and it is not possible to know what those value magnitudes are
beforehand.

Consequently,  one cannot legitimately move as Marx did step-by-step,
from left to right (cost price, s/v, s, commodity value)  in his
transformation tables. In fact one can never know the value
transferred or s/v but only infer them from the fetishistic price
data of both the inputs and outputs.  The mistake in his
transformation tables to which Marx was admitting was simply having
initially treated value transferred, the rate of exploitation and the
value added as if they were on the same phenomenal level as the money
sums invested as constant and variable capital.   In fact we can only
begin to get a handle on these three factors (value transferred, s/v,
v+s) after we have the price data for both the inputs and the
outputs, and even then it would hardly be easy (or interesting) to
determine the actual value transferred in each branch and the precise
value of the commodity output of each branch.

There are two dogmas to the transformation problem--that the inputs
have to be transformed from values into prices of production and that
it's theoretically interesting to transform inputs and outputs into
the same prices of production.

Shaikh accepts these two "strictures" (wrongly in my opinion), but
still brilliantly vindicates Marx's transformation procedure.