[OPE-L:8162] Re: direct and indirect causes of surplus-value

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 06:20:24 EST

Re Fred's [8159]:

> Surplus-value can only be produced by wage-labor.

This is an important area of agreement.

> But then in Chapter 7, the magnitude of surplus-value is explained - by
> the magnitude of surplus labor.  The class relation by itself does not
> explain the magnitude of surplus-value.  The magnitude of surplus-value
> can only be explained by the further theory presented in Chapter 7, which
> is summarized by the above equation.

As we've discussed before,  the magnitude of surplus-value can be
determined with the equation S = m (L - Ln) subject to certain *assumptions*
("givens"); once the assumptions are dropped (i.e. when what has been
posited initially as given is no longer given but is systematically explored
and developed),  then the calculation of magnitude becomes more complex.

In solidarity, Jerry