[OPE-L:8174] Re: Marx's Notes on Wagner available on MIA

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Sat Dec 14 2002 - 10:57:44 EST

To answer one of my own questions in [8173],
the translation in the MIA for:

 > 'WHERE THE
> STATE ITSELF IS A CAPITALIST PRODUCER, AS IN THE
> EXPLOITATION OF MINES, WOODLAND, ETC., ITS PRODUCT IS
> A "COMMODITY" AND HAS THEREFORE THE SPECIFIC NATURE
> OF EVERY OTHER COMMODITY['] (MEW, 19:370) (emphasis, i.e.
> capitalization added, JL).

is:  "Where the state itself is a capitalist producer, as in the
exploitation of  mines, forests, etc., its product is a "commodity" and
hence possesses the specific character of every other commodity".
The two translations are thus essentially consistent.

In solidarity, Jerry