[OPE-L:8337] Re: Re: Education and Value

From: Gil Skillman (gskillman@wesleyan.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 12:24:14 EST

To follow up on my remarks in 8330:

Paul writes:

>* There are two quite distinct issues under the "reduction" from complex
>to simple labor: a question of how to measure the value of complex labor
>power relative to simple (expressed as relative wages),

Two things:  first, again I don't see why there is any question of
"reduction" involved here:  to measure the value of either type of labor
power, you determine the labor socially necessary to produce it.  Other
things equal, complex labor power requires more labor to produce because of
the labor expended in education or training.  Second, determination of the
relative wages of simple and complex labor is a separate issue, since
nothing guarantees that prices of commodities correspond proportionally to
their respectie values.  But supposing that this is the case, then the
wages of complex labor will be higher than that of simple labor.  Having
said that, what is there to "reduce"?

>  and a question of whether capitalist development actually simplifies
> complex labor by deskilling.

Isn't this a separate issue?  Whether or not capitalist development
involves deskilling of labor processes is an empirical matter, while the
matter of "reducing" complex to simple labor is an analytical matter.  My
question is, what's the point of the analytical exercise of "reducing"
complex to simple labor?

Gil