[OPE-L:8342] Re: Education and Value

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 06:24:17 EST

Re [8330]:

>  Here's what I mean:  accept that the value magnitude of a commodity is
> determined by the labor socially necessary for its production.  In
> practice  it will typically be the case that production of a given
> commodity requires  different types of labor exercising different types
> of skills.  In practice  acquiring those skills will in return require the
> expenditure of  labor--e.g., the labor of workers teaching the skills to
> others.  You add  up all the labor times required on average to produce
> the  commodity--including the labor required to generate the skills
> exercised by  skilled workers in the production process-- and voila,
> there's your  socially necessary labor time.  No need to "reduce" the
> "complex" labor to  "simple" labor.  Labor time is labor time.

Hi Gil.  Happy new year.

a)  Labor time is labor time.  But, not all labor time is performed by
wage-labor.  Not all labor time is at the direction of capital.  Not all
labor time is socially-necessary-labor-time.  Not all labor time is paid
labor time, e.g  there is labor time that goes into the development of
skills for which the skill-teachers receive no monetary compensation as
in the case of volunteers.  Not all labor time produces surplus-value.
Etc.  This has great relevance in terms of _which_ labor times you
"add up".

b)  Since simple labor represents simple average labor, you would have
to "add up" the labor required to not only produce a "given commodity"
but the labor required to produce _all_ commodities in order to obtain
the average.  This, however, would be no easy calculation because the
data would have to disaggregated to account for the issues raised in a).

Solidarity, Jerry