[OPE-L:8356] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Education and Value

From: Tony Tinker (tonytinker@msn.com)
Date: Sat Jan 18 2003 - 04:44:27 EST

Dear Paul,  I don't think you are going to make this case.  but please be
patient as I am swamped with work right now (I have deadlines for
presentations that are very pressing).  There is a wealth of literature over
the years over the distinction between 'productive' and 'non-productive'.
These debates resurface because people never seem to go back to these prior
debates.  In essence, the confusions arise because Marx's historically
specific categories/ examples are taken as being eternal.  Hence, for Marx,
writing in his time, salesmen, accountants, bankers etc, were all
'unproductive' in their day, not because of the intrinsically destructive
nature of their work (which we might well agree it was) but because they
were not assimilated as wage labor, and thus were now integral to the
capital - labor relation (with all the revolutionary potential that
embodied).  The latter is the criterion that is important for Marx, because
it is catalytic to social change.   Hence, today, when bankers at Merrill
Lynch, or accountants working in business schools, have been absorbed into
the wage relation; even they offer this 'promise'.

On the converse, I assume you won't want to argue that factory workers in
armaments plants McDonald Douglas are -- by your definition, not mine
'productive' -- just because.... what?

Regards, TT

Tony Tinker
Professor and Co-Editor
Critical Perspectives on Accounting
The Accounting Forum
Baruch College at the City University of New York
Box B12-236
17 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10010
USA