[OPE-L:8359] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Education and Value

From: Paul Cockshott (paul@cockshott.com)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 04:36:15 EST

Tony Tinker wrote:

> Dear Paul,  I don't think you are going to make this case.  but please be
> patient as I am swamped with work right now (I have deadlines for
> presentations that are very pressing).  There is a wealth of literature over
> the years over the distinction between 'productive' and 'non-productive'.
> These debates resurface because people never seem to go back to these prior
> debates.  In essence, the confusions arise because Marx's historically
> specific categories/ examples are taken as being eternal.  Hence, for Marx,
> writing in his time, salesmen, accountants, bankers etc, were all
> 'unproductive' in their day, not because of the intrinsically destructive
> nature of their work (which we might well agree it was) but because they
> were not assimilated as wage labor, and thus were now integral to the
> capital - labor relation (with all the revolutionary potential that
> embodied).

I disagree with this on several counts:

1. For a group to have a potentially progressive role, they have to
    see their activity as persisting and being better rewarded in the
    future society. If a social category is to be eliminated by the revolution
    they are unlikely to be enthusiastic about it. Banking and advertising
    for example, even if the workers are paid a salary will be unenthusiastic
    for revolution because
     a. they will stand to loose their jobs
     b. jobs they do get instead may well pay less

2. Banking work was overwhelmingly salaried in Marx's day, there has
    been no change since then.

3. For work to be productive of surplus value it must be productive
   of value. Reciept of a share of interest payments - the source of income
   for bank workers, does not constitute the production of surplus value.

4. Reciept of surplus value as an income source puts banking workers
   objectively opposed to the working class and this is reflected in
  politics - see how they vote.

> The latter is the criterion that is important for Marx, because
> it is catalytic to social change.   Hence, today, when bankers at Merrill
> Lynch, or accountants working in business schools, have been absorbed into
> the wage relation; even they offer this 'promise'.
>
> On the converse, I assume you won't want to argue that factory workers in
> armaments plants McDonald Douglas are -- by your definition, not mine
> 'productive' -- just because.... what?

They would be productive according to Marx. I use a Sraffian condition
of productivity so I would judge them unproductive.