[OPE-L:8373] Re: Re: Electronics and Value

From: Paul Adler (padler@usc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 12:08:36 EST

I have been following the thred on Electronic and value, and would
like to submit to the list a cluster of thoughts -- if I have things
right in my reading of Marx, I am hoping this might make for a
useful, empirical research agenda. So, with you forebearance, here
goes:

My starting point is the Grundrisse:
"As soon as labour in the direct form has ceased to be the great
well-spring on wealth, labour time ceases and must cease to be its
measure, and hence exchange value [must cease to be the measure] of
use value." (705)

That is: Science becomes increasingly central to productivity
improvement, but that makes the market system of coordination
increasing ineffectual.

My hunch is that because of the public-goods nature of knowledge, the
pricing of knowledge intensive goods/services/assets cannot be
determined "economically" (classically, by socially-necessary labor
time requirements, or even neoclassically, by supply and demand) --
because these requirements are essentially indeterminate.

Instead, I conjecture, these prices will be determined by social
convention. How does a law firm set fees? Or a commercial R&D
company? I think these firms set prices by reference to non-economic
norms.

Expanding on this -- Is the following reasoning tenable?

1. Suppliers of knowledge-intensive goods are not sure what price
would cover their costs, for two reasons. First, the main source of a
firm's innovative ideas is society's total stock of knowledge rather
than assets held privately by the innovating firm. Given the
public-good character of much of that knowledge stock, identifying or
justifying a "raw materials" cost for new ideas generated from this
knowledge stock is difficult. Second, an innovative idea is just as
likely to arise during free time as on the job, so identifying a
"transformation" cost is difficult. Whereas competition between
suppliers of most other types of goods drives prices toward their
marginal costs, no comparably grounded "supply schedule" guides the
price of knowledge.

2. The customer side is no easier. The potential customer for an
innovation typically cannot judge the worth of the idea without
having its secret revealed, and intellectual property protection is
cumbersome and expensive (Arrow's old point). Moreover, intellectual
property rights, compared to property rights in other kinds of
assets, lack a legitimating material substratum.  See (1) on  the
difficulty of determining the price of knowledge based on its
production cost; the alternative basis would be rent, but rent is
only a viable price-form when the asset in question is not
reproducible and is rivalrous in use, whereas knowledge (at least in
its codified forms) is reproducible at close to zero cost and
nonrivalrous in use. Its price is therefore less grounded in any
material considerations: it is purely a function of convention and
relative power. Lacking a legitimating material basis, intellectual
property is amongst the most contentious of forms of property (could
we show this??). Perhaps that is why patent rights are so often
bundled and bartered in dyadic trade rather than sold on open markets.

Of these 2 sets of concerns, the supply schedule ones seem more
troublesome and we could imagine that the demand schedule ones  might
not be insuperable. But even if only the supply schedule disappears,
surely price formation will become very strange, no?

3. If this reasoning is approximately correct, the prices of
knowledge-intensive goods should behave differently, be more
"brittle," no? I imagine that we would find them more stable for
longer periods, and changing thru radical breaks rather than gradual
evolution. But I don't yet have a good theory with which to
characterize the differences between conventionally-determined rather
than economically-determined prices. Perhaps there is some literature
that would serve as a starting point -- perhaps even the literature
on land prices and absolute rent??

If we could straigthen out the theory -- and if there was anything
left to my brittleness hunch when that was done -- then you could
imagine testing that  hypothesis on:

* asset prices: compare the evolution over time of the stock prices
of more vs less knowledge-intensive firms (as measured by R&D
intensity or % of labor force in professional categories)

* labor prices: compare the evolution over time of the prices of more
vs less knowledge-intensive forms of labor (i.e. more vs less skilled
and schooled) -- this complicating the list's discussion of the value
of complex labor!

* product prices -- compare the evolution over time of the market
prices of more vs less knowledge-intensive
commodities/products/services

****
The basis motivation of a study of these issues for me would to show
that capitalism encounters its own limits as the forces of production
progress and become more socialized (i.e. become more knowledge
intensive) and bump into the limits of capitalist relations of
production (here: market based pricing).

Marx's discussion on automation in the Grundrisse suggests that
advanced capitalism poses  challenges to the price system's ability
to coordinate economic activity. The labor theory of value (Marx
says) isn't his theory, but is rather the theory that capitalism
itself relies on, and as capitalism develops, this theory becomes
increasingly obsolete, because labor becomes a less significant and
identifiable factor of production. As a result, he "value form"
wobbles increasingly unstable on a narrowing base. Thus:
"instability" -- leaving aside the question of macro economic crises
(that's an open question!) then, I read him to say, growing
instability in each specific market.

--
Prof. Paul S. Adler,
Management and Organization Dept,