[OPE-L:8380] Re: Re: Re: Electronics and Value

From: rakeshb@stanford.edu
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 13:23:41 EST

Paul A wrote:

> My starting point is the Grundrisse:
> "As soon as labour in the direct form has ceased to be the great
> well-spring on wealth, labour time ceases and must cease to be
its
> measure, and hence exchange value [must cease to be the
measure] of
> use value." (705)

Ajit Sinha, sometimes OPE-L contributor, argues that Marx had to
use the LTV to determine or render determinate prices of
production only because he did not understand that with the use of
simultaneous equations prices could be solved on the basis of
technical conditions as long as distribution was exogeneously
determined.

 That is, the LTV is not so much a historical anachronism but an
analytical anachronism.

> That is: Science becomes increasingly central to productivity
> improvement, but that makes the market system of coordination
> increasing ineffectual.
>
> My hunch is that because of the public-goods nature of
knowledge, the

> pricing of knowledge intensive goods/services/assets cannot be
> determined "economically" (classically, by socially-necessary
labor
> time requirements, or even neoclassically, by supply and
demand) --
> because these requirements are essentially indeterminate.

One interesting aspect here is the intl division of labor. As James
Galbraith points out, the advanced countries tend to export
knowledge intensive capital goods such as aeroplanes, medical
equipment, speciality chips, software and import non R&D
intensive goods such as clothes, toys, shoes, non speciality steel.

Galbraith  argues that the knowledge-intensive capital goods
industry is marked by a lottery like competition for transient
Schumpeterian monopoly profits. He makes this argument on the
basis of the supply and demand schedules he specifies for these
kind of goods, but I don't have my books with me--his most
important piece on this in Phil Arestis The Relevance of Keynesian
Economic Policy Today.  He also argues that to the extent that the
industrial profile of the advanced economies become more
weighted with knowledge intensive capital goods, they are more
likely to be subject to violent cycles.

Paul, thank you very much for an extremely stimulating post.

Yours, Rakesh