[OPE-L:8455] Re: Re: Comparative advantage: Comparative exploitation

From: Alejandro Valle Baeza (avalleb@prodigy.net.mx)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 15:09:15 EST

Jerry, perhaps this is a response  for your question:
"
Re: Comparative advantage discussion
  a.. Messages sorted by: [ date ][ thread ][ subject ][ author ]
  b.. Next message: John M. Legge: "Capital controls"
  c.. Previous message: =?iso-8859-1?Q?G._Sebasti=E1n_Menescaldi?=: "(no subject)"
  d.. In reply to: aldo balardini: "Comparative advantage discussion"
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 13:23:14 -0800
Jim Devine (jdevine@popmail.lmu.edu)

>Now, if we assume a different theory of money, like that found in
>CAPITAL or in THE GENERAL THEORY, Ricardo's outcome will be
>completely different. As gold flows out of England, bank reserves
>decline, interest rate increase, investment declines and output
>declines. England experiences a chronical trade account deficit.
>Portugal on the other hand receives gold, which makes bank reserves
>increase, lowering interest rates, increasing investment and output.
>Portugal experiences a chronical trade account surplus and a capital
>account deficit as capital flows into England attracted by the higher
>interest rate. England, ironically, becomes the chronically indebted
>country and Portugal the chronically creditor country.
>A different theory of money therefore destroys the happy ending of
>Ricardo's model, and absolute rather than comparative advantage
>determines the direction of trade benefits.

this theory was well-analyzed by Anwar Shaikh, both in SCIENCE & SOCIETY
and in a book edited by Ed Nell titled GROWTH, PROFITS, AND PROPERTY.

Jim Devine jdevine@popmail.lmu.edu &
http://clawww.lmu.edu/Faculty/JDevine/jdevine.html

  a.. Next message: John M. Legge: "Capital controls"
  b.. Previous message: =?iso-8859-1?Q?G._Sebasti=E1n_Menescaldi?=: "(no subject)"
  c.. In reply to: aldo balardini: "Comparative advantage discussion"