[OPE-L:8583] Re: RE: France fried by U.S. Congress

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@buffalo.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 12:41:20 EST

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, mongiovg wrote:

> This is mind-boggling, and, for me, as disturbing as any recent
> development connected with the Iraq situation. One need not be a
> romantic about the Atlantic alliance, or its members, to think that
> the Bush government's attempt to demonize France & Germany to the
> American public is reckless and dangerous.  These countries share a
> commitment to values that are indispensable to global peace and
> prosperity: democracy, human and civil rights, free speech, rule of
> law--the whole Enlightenment thing.

Wow, this idealization of the French and German governments is
unbelievable (and romantic).  Of course, the 'freedom' fries is also
unbelievable, but let's get just a shade critical and consider material
motives for these bourgeois countries' behaviors.  Paul

"Confronting 9-11, Ideologies of Race, and Eminent Economists", Vol. 20
RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY,  Paul Zarembka, editor, Elsevier Science
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka