[OPE-L:8599] Re: France fried by U.S. Congress

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 08:35:22 EST

Re Paul Z's [8583]:

> Of course, the 'freedom' fries is also
> unbelievable, but let's get just a shade critical and consider material
> motives for these bourgeois countries' behaviors.

Being critical, I think, means that we need to do *more than* consider
material motives.  We also need to consider the social mechanisms through
which consent is manufactured in contemporary bourgeois societies.
While "freedom fries" might sound unbelievable,  it is part of a process
whereby state policy is rationalized and popular  perception is created
and modified.  "Freedom fries", after all, were intended for domestic
consumption.  Marxists, I think, have been OK at describing material
motives but not so good at considering this process which has been
described better by others -- especially the anarchist Naom Chomsky.

In solidarity, Jerry