[OPE-L:8587] RE: long term centers of gravity?

From: mongiovg (mongiovg@stjohns.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 13:17:23 EST

Hi. I certainly never asserted that the values (that is, prices) of
commodities don't change over time.  Nor, for that matter, do neoclassical
economists claim that. Obviously prices do change over time. But if you accept
the claim that market prices gravitate toward price of production, then you
need a theory of the latter, and to my knowledge the only satisfactory
explanations of prices of production entail the use of the the long-period
method. If one takes as the living standard of workers and the technical
conditions of production (socially necessary labor, in Marx) as given within a
particular historical stage of an economy's development, then prices of
production will coincide with the solution to Sraffa's equations. I find
nothing in Marx that is inconsistent with these assumptions, and much that
supports it.  Indeed, the very concept of socially necessary labor presumes
that the technical conditions of production are given within the context of
the discussion of the determination of relative values: Marx is talking about
what Joan Robinson called blueprints.

If all you're claiming is that Marx never supposed prices to be constant over
time, well, yes, I agree. But nobody else does supposes that either. None of
this amounts to a credible defense of the TSS approach, which, as far as I can
see, DENIES that profit rates tend to equalize: I argue in my paper that this
outcome occurs only as an arbitrary special case in their framework.

As to the possibility of all prices falling over time, I guess a Sraffian
would ask "Falling in terms of what?" Unless you specify the numeraire,
there's no way to gauge whether technical change in this sector or that will
cause a price to rise or fall. To ensure a falling rate of profit, the price
of the wage bundle would have to fall relative to the price of labor power,
and it would have to do so by a large enough magnitude to
more-than-counterbalance the cost reductions achieved by labor-saving
technical change. Not very likely, in my view.

Gary