[OPE-L:8588] RE: Re: RE: France fried by U.S. Congress

From: mongiovg (mongiovg@stjohns.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 14:02:18 EST

Pardon me for not appending the obligatory condemnation of western hypocrisy
and bougeois values. I foolishly assumed that those caveats would not have to
be rehearsed to members of this list; hence my "One need not romanticize the
Atlantic alliance or its members ...."

My point was that what's happening now isn't just your standard-issue hardball
diplomacy, which is of course one of the ways that western hypocrisy plays
itself out. The Bush message is "Cross us and we're gonna fuck you up, and we
don't even have to pay lip service to democracy, freedom, decades of good
diplomatic relations, warm ties of friendhip between countless members of our
populations, our shared cultural heritage and our mutually beneficial economic
ties; who gives a shit about any of that stuff? Why don't we give a shit?
Because we don't have to, that's why." That implicit message strikes me as a
dangerous departure from precedent.

The fact that what was in place prior to the Bush offensive left much to be
desired doesn't negate my suggestion that what is happening now is extremely
dangerous for global security and prosperity. Nor does it deny the necessity
of exploring " the material motives for these bourgeois countries' behaviors"
as Paul rightly notes. Nothing I wrote implies anything different.

Gary