(OPE-L) No Business as Usual

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 16:12:16 EDT

Was: RE: Eminent physicist refuses to review American colleagues' papers

Gary wrote:

> But if the dominant
> reaction among Amit's peers is that his attitude constitutes an
> inappropriate politicization of science, then his stance is
> counterproductive.

From the outset, it was clear (at least to me) that Amit  intended his
audience to be larger than his peers who are scientists and physicists.
The tactic chosen seems to be "No Business As Usual."  In the context
of academic and professional organizations,  that tactic might be viewed
as "shunning" -- a classic form of protest.

Those who were opposed to the war in the US community of physicists
and scientists will, I think, not be offended by Amit's protest -- even
if they don't follow his example.

One has to remember that since the onset of the anti-War movement (and
to some extent beforehand),  right-wingers have been saying that we need
to preserve "civility"  and "respect" for mainstream institutions including
the Presidency (recall the furor over the Dixie Chicks?).  In the face of
such calls, "No Business as Usual"  tactics make it clear that -- now that
"the war is over" -- the protest movement and the rage against US policies
will not disappear. Whether it, or related tactics such as civil
disobedience, is the best tactic at the current time is another topic.
I think, in any event, that developing an effective *strategic*  plan for
the current period is a more pressing and primary concern for activists
than discussing day-to-day *tactical* issues.

In solidarity, Jerry