Re: (OPE-L) RE: Eminent physicist refuses to review American colleagues' papers

From: mongiovg (mongiovg@STJOHNS.EDU)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 13:00:52 EDT

It's not really clear that Amit's strategy worked. A handful of exchanges on
an electronic bulletin board hardly constitutes the triggering of a debate. I
doubt whether he has changed the mind of the editor with whom he had the
exchange (whose side of it he circulated without explicit permission, by the
way). I suppose if I were in the editor's shoes, I'd be irritated at being
tarred with Amit's collective-guilt brush: for all we or Amit knows, the
editor & the entire editorial board of the journal in question might be
passionately anti-war and anti-Bush. Perhaps there is something going on at
some physics lists. I have no idea how (or even whether) most physicists think
about the nexus between ideology & science. But if the dominant reaction among
Amit's peers is that his attitude constitutes an inappropriate politicization
of science, then his stance is counterproductive.

Gary