Re: (OPE-L) is value labour?

From: Christopher Arthur (cjarthur@WAITROSE.COM)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 12:15:30 EDT

I may not have time to intervene at length.
One point for now. Any theory will have some statements that are true by
definition or which are assumed without proof. But there must be a
substantive claim which is to be tested.
I had alawys assumed that the said claim in our case is "The magnitude of
value is determined by socially necessary labour time." For this to be
substantive it is obviously the case that value cannnot be defined as
labour or identified by assumption because then it would reduce to a
tautology. So my question to those who say "Value is Labour" is this: what
IS the substantive claim?
Chris

17 Bristol Road, Brighton, BN2 1AP, England