(OPE-L) Re: is value labour?

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 08:42:13 EDT

Paul C wrote on Wednesday, May 07:

> Eyes in vertebrates are systematically connected to the primary
> visual cortex and cannot function without it. Thus it is clear
> eyes are specific and particular form of development of the
> vertebrate nervous system, and in consequence - appearances
> to the contrary, molluscs are eyeless.

Indeed mollusks are eyeless.  But, who was talking about
mollusks?   Ontological conceptions vary with the subject matter.
Thus, how we strive to systematically comprehend a subject
matter varies depending upon the intrinsic nature of the
subject matter itself.  The analysis of capitalism requires the
systematic enrichment and exposition of categories of social
form specific to that mode of production.  That doesn't include
eyes or lack of eyes. But it does mean that, for instance, the
commodity-form and the value-form and the money-form and
the capital-form must be grasped within the context of the totality
of capitalism.

In solidarity, Jerry