Re: (OPE-L) Re: dreams and nightmares

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (riccardo.bellofiore@UNIBG.IT)
Date: Sat May 17 2003 - 09:16:01 EDT

At 8:37 -0400 17-05-2003, gerald_a_levy wrote:
>PS to Riccardo on Kronstadt:  did you hear the story about the
>communist and the anarchist who were shipwrecked and lived for
>five years on a desert island?  When they were rescued, they were
>asked "What did you talk about for the last five years ?".  They
>answered, in unison, "Kronstadt!".  I'd prefer to avoid the
>fate of the 2 shipwrecked sailors.

me I would wonder why they responded at the unison Kronstadt. there
may be some reason for that. and though I am no anarchist, let me
pass this comment: it's good the anarchist was there after 5 years to
tell. (may be you know of Spain Civil war).

on your mail. I disagree with half of your points. the other half I
agree, but you reach the wrong conclusion. but it's problematic, and
repetitive, to answer point by point.

I want only to state that I am one of the many very left-wing
comrades in Italy (others, much more relevant than me, are Ingrao,
Rossanda, Bertinotti, etc.) who fell sadly that something wrong is
going on in Cuba, and not only there.

of course, going on on the web, and reading the posts, I understand
that while we are convinced we are expressing an opinion in the front
pro Cuba, we are becoming very strange people, who actually do not
realize what you state all along in your post, that what Cuba does is
understandable, that the lacking of democracy, repression, no true
mass participation (which does not mean consent; may I say Fred that
what the racist taxi driver told me could have been told to him by
almost all of Italians who were not in jail in Italy 1935?)

well, let me state a general point: no different, comunist society
will ever be built without democracy: liberty of the press, liberty
to dissent, 'mass' democracy (democracy from below) etc. "primum
vivere" has not always been my motto. I understand it, but I don't
think it works. unfortunately, I have the whole of XXth century on my
side.