Re: (OPE-L) Re: dreams and nightmares

From: Fred B. Moseley (fmoseley@MTHOLYOKE.EDU)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 21:50:23 EDT

I wrote in an earlier post:

Almost everyone I met in Cuba seems to genuinely admire Fidel - even a
reactionary, racist taxi driver who drove us from the airport the first
night.  "Fidel loves Cuba," he said, "he has done a lot for Cuba."

To which Riccardo replied:

> may I say to Fred that
> what the racist taxi driver told him could have been told to him by
> almost all of Italians who were not in jail in Italy 1935?)

Riccardo, are you really comparing Castro to Mussolini?

Did Mussolini eliminate illiteracy in Italy, and provide free quality
education for all, including higher education for those who want it?
Did Mussolini provide free quality health care for all?
Did Mussolini equalize incomes and significantly improve the living
standards and life's prospects of the lower classes?
Did Mussolini give everyone their own apartment (no rent has to be paid)?
Did Mussolini overthrow a hated dictator, who was a puppet of foreign
imperialism?

The Cuban people know this history well, and they know and deeply
appreciate what Castro has led them to achieve.

Was all this really true for Mussolini?

Comradely,
Fred