Re: More re 'dreams and nightmares'

From: michael a. lebowitz (mlebowit@SFU.CA)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 10:54:59 EDT

At 22:57 20/05/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>>.
>>As Fidel told the
>>foreign participants to the Marx conference at an unannounced evening
>>gathering (and subsequently told a Mexican journalist), the choice was
>>between those deaths and many more which would result from the US plan to
>>provoke an immigration crisis which would be used 'as a pretext for a naval
>>blockade, which would inevitably lead to war'.
>

>Michael,
>this is what I don't understand. Please explain.  The US encourages
>hijackings by not prosecuting or returning hijackers; hijackings
>escalate and very illegal immigration explodes; Bush then rallies the
>US populace for a war against Castro in order to democratize Cuba so
>that illegal emigration ceases?  I just don't see Bush selling such a
>justification to the US populace or thinking that he has any chance
>of imposing his regime in Cuba.

How about simply what Fidel said--- ie., a naval blockade which cuts off,
eg, the oil from Venezuela? Add to that measures that cut-off remittances,
trade, etc. Expel the Cuban Interests section as spies (14 thrown out this
week), call upon the coalition of the all-too-willing (especially Spain) to
support this squeeze, and encourage a general deterioration in the Cuban
economy, hope for and support demonstrations and riots, etc. I hope you
don't think the US media (Fox, CNN, etc) would challenge the message that
it is time to put an end to the suffering of the Cuban people. Do I think
this scenario is possible? I think it is less so--- given Cuba's determined
actions.
         in solidarity,
          michael

---------------------
Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Currently based in Cuba. Can be reached via:

Michael Lebowitz
c/o MEPLA
Calle 13 No. 504 ent. D y E, Vedado, La Habana, Cuba
Codigo Postal 10 4000
(537) 33 30 75 or 832  21 54
telefax (at night): (537) 33 30 75