Re: value, labour and conservation laws

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@LUBS.LEEDS.AC.UK)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 07:37:10 EDT

Hi Ian, Paul C. and all,

I don't think the strangeness of the abstract labour 'substance' lies
in the fact that it represents an abstraction, as in the analogy with
a thermostat. The strangeness stems from the fact that exchange
value, unlike a thermostat, or any other phenomenon, has no
apparent natural material basis. The behaviour of the thermostat
can be explained by its natural material constituents. Yet
exchange ratios cannot be so explained (Marx makes this point
many times). This is the puzzle for the materialist.

The solution has two key aspects:
(1) Recognition of the crucial transhistorical aspects of labour. The
defining charactaristic is universality (I agree with Paul C.) but,
even more important, creativity. Humans not only plastically adapt
to their circumstances, they creativiely transform them (in the
process transforming themselves). This is indeed what makes
abstract labour a potential reality.

(2) Recognition of the wierd inversions of the transhistorical
apsects of labour in capitalism. Fundamentally, the creative
universality of labour is taken from labour and imposed upon labour
from the outside, i.e. in the form of capital, a dominating
abstraction from all specificity.

Re your point about sociality made to Paul C: the sociality of
labour is not separate from the creative adaptability of labour, so I
think you add to Paul's point about the universality of labour, as I
have done by stressing the creativity of labour, but you do not
negate Paul's point.

On a slightly different issue I wanted to elaborate on the question of
whether something can be 'purely quantitative' -- I note that Marx
says that this is exactly how exchange value appears *at first
sight*. But time constraints intervene...

Many thanks,

Andy