basic sectors 1or more

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 06:47:44 EDT

  Sraffa defines a basic sector of the economy, roughly equivalent
to Marx's dept I as being made up of  those commodities that
directly or indirectly go into the production of every other commodity.

It is pretty clear that where such a subsystem exists the rate
of material surplus product there will set an upper limit on the
rate of profit in the economy as a whole.

Has anyone considered the situation which could exist where there
is more than one basic sector in the economy?

I dont know if such a circumstance actually exists in any economy
but then then would no longer be a single eigen-value defining the maximal
rate of profit.

What do people think of this problem?