Re: (OPE-L) Re: the secret by which the capitalist class maintains its power

From: Francisco Paulo Cipolla (cipolla@SOCIAIS.UFPR.BR)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 14:37:22 EDT

Thanks for the repply Jerry.
Conflict between capital and labor does not manifest itself as a
conflict over surplus value but as a conflict over cost, remembering
that for the capitalist c+v are just costs; it manifests itself also as
a conflict over the control of the labor process and its intensity among
many other ways. This are instances in which the conflict appear in the
surface of relations. It is at this level that capitalists are aware.
Your question then ("at what point is class subjectivity introduced?")
could be answer thus: it can only be introduced at the level of the
appearances since all categories Marx develops mistify the essence! Is
there anything wrong in interpreting capitalist rule through
manipulation of class divisions as a rule over cost, control,etc.? The
rule over the working class through what appears in the surface of
relations is still rule and domination.
Paulo
P.S. By the way Jerry, I am changing my address to cipolla@ufpr.br. How
should I proceed?