(OPE-L) Re: Subcase missing on Chapter 3, Vol III

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Thu Oct 16 2003 - 08:17:21 EDT

Paolo wrote:

> Chapter 3, vol III,( international publishers´edition 1967, pgs. 49-69)
> deals with "The relation of the rate of profit to the rate of surplus
> value". The chapter is divided under two main headings: I. s´ constante
> and  II. s´ variable. Under the second heading there are three subcases.
> My question is this: Why is that Marx does not consider the possibility
> of v being constant and C (total capital) being variable? This case is
> just not discussed at all. What happened? Did he forget?

The third case under "'s' constant'" is:  "s' and v constant, c and
therefore also C variable" (Penguin ed., p. 152-153; International ed.,
pp. 59-60).   Subject to the prior assumptions in the chapter (including
the assumptions that the length of the working day, the intensity of labor,
and wages remain constant) the case where v is constant implies that s' is
constant hence the 'v constant' case could be subsumed under the
's constant' section.

Isn't this the 'missing' subcase that you were wondering about? Or,
is there some aspect to your question that I have missed?

In solidarity, Jerry