(OPE-L) Re: Dynamic value and natural price

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 09:19:43 EST

Hi Phil.

> Yes. it is certainly necessary to make the distinction between productive
> and  unproductive labour.  But I look at all private sector labour as
> productive.

All private sector labor is not engaged in production.  Are security guards
in a factory 'productive'?   Their function is to prevent the theft of
value.  How are corporate lawyers productive of surplus value?   Their
function is to represent the interests of individual capital in
state-related matters.  If money is paid out as wages for endorsements
by celebrities for marketing purposes, how is that activity productive of
surplus value? Some of these expenses might be viewed as *faux frais* --
but some of them are very far from being 'incidental' expenses.

In discussing *frau frais de production* in "Results of the Immediate
Process of Production" , Marx makes an interesting assertion that we may
or may not agree with:

"Further examples are legal proceedings, contractual agreements, etc.  All
matters of this sort are concerned with stipulations between commodity
owners as buyers and sellers of goods, and have nothing to do with the
relations between capital and labour.  THOSE ENGAGED IN THEM
MAY BECOME THE WAGE-LABOURERS OF CAPITAL: BUT
THIS DOES NOT MAKE PRODUCTIVE WORKERS OF THEM."
(Volume 1, Penguin ed., p. 1043, emphasis added, JL)

(This subject is also discussed in Volume II, Ch. 6 "The Costs of
Circulation".)

> Whereever there is profit there is productive labour.

Profit can be _transferred_ from one capitalist to another through
rent even where the recipient of the transfer does not employ wage labor
-- let alone productive labor.  E.g. the profit can be transferred directly
into the bank account of another capitalist.

In solidarity, Jerry