(OPE-L) Re: Hume and constraint based theories

From: gerald_a_levy (gerald_a_levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 09:11:54 EST

Ian wrote on Friday, November 14:

>  I agree it is not a causal theory.
> The fact that mathematically it is expressed as
> solutions to a set of simultaneous equations (i.e,
> constraints on possible values of variables) is a sign
> of that.

This implies that Marxian theories where there are
sets of simultaneous equations are also not causal
theories.  Do you agree with that inference?

> But this isn't a good thing. It's a limitation.
> Although this is not to deny that an initial
> abstraction from change can be illuminating. So I
> think there's no need to justify a constraint-based
> theory by implying that philosophy tells us we
> can't hope to do any better. We can and should build
> dynamic, causal theories of the economy.

Put in the context of some of the many discussions
that we on OPE-L have had over the years, does this
mean that your conception of value is temporalist (rather
than  'simultaneist')?

In solidarity, Jerry