Re: (OPE-L) Re: Unproductive Labour and the Two Department Model

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 06:43:04 EST

----------------
The big picture for me is that if services such as retailing,
transport, finance, advertising etc. are treated as unproductive, and
they form an increasing proportion of the economy, labour in the
productive manufacturing fraction has to be exploited at an ever
increasing rate in order to account for undiminished non-wage income.
I do  not think this is for real.

Phil

Paul:
Remember that transport is normally treated as productive.
Empirical studies of exploitation that take into account unproductive
labour do show just this over time.

Why do you not think it is for real?

Who benefits from the labour spent on advertising and in finance?
It is pretty clearly not the classically defined productive
working class, and as such it looks like exploitation to me.