Re: Which label: neo-Ricardian, surplus approach, or linear production theory?

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 01:10:33 EST

--- mongiovg <mongiovg@STJOHNS.EDU> wrote:
> Well, you can't go wrong with "linear production
> theory."  "Surplus approach"
> works if you're talking about Sraffa, Pasinetti and
> Steedman, but doesn't
> really fit for Leontief and I think there is some
> ambiguity as regards von
> Neumann (though Kurz & Salvadori put vN squarely in
> the Sraffian tradition).

Leontief, and I think Neumann too, assume constant
returns to scale. Sraffa does not. I think all linear
production theory implicitly or explicitly assume
constant returns to scale. Whereever you see a(ij)'s
in linear production equations, you know that CRS is
implicitly assumed. Of course, no such a(ij)'s appear
in Sraffa's equations. So I would think that Sraffa
should not be clubed under 'linear production theory'.
Cheers, ajit sinha