Re: Which label: neo-Ricardian, surplus approach, or linear production theory?

From: mongiovg (mongiovg@STJOHNS.EDU)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 14:50:37 EST

Well, you can't go wrong with "linear production theory."  "Surplus approach"
works if you're talking about Sraffa, Pasinetti and Steedman, but doesn't
really fit for Leontief and I think there is some ambiguity as regards von
Neumann (though Kurz & Salvadori put vN squarely in the Sraffian tradition).

No one to whom the label "neo-Ricardian" is applied likes it, so I'd avoid it
simply on the grounds of good manners. I suspect that it is often used by some
Marxists or critical realists to suggest a certain bourgeoise backwardness.

Regards,

Gary