(OPE-L) Re: Which label: neo-Ricardian, surplus approach, or linear production theory?

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 08:05:45 EST

Hi Riccardo!

> von Neumann: the first to put him in the Classical tradition was
> Napoleoni in 1963-4 (to my knowledge), it seems that K&S do not
> acknowledge that, but I am unsure about that.

His most famous collaborator, Oscar Morgenstern, was clearly a
marginalist.  So, his status as a figure in the classical tradition
is subject to doubt. I think it might be better to think of von Neumann
as a figure who had a foot in at least a couple of different
(and contradictory) intellectual traditions.

> an interesting taxonomy of the 'Sraffian' schools is made by
> Roncaglia, who distinguishes among 'neoSmithian', 'neoRicardian' and
> 'neoMarxian' in a little book recently published by Routledge.

What about neo-Napoleonian?
What's the name of the book?

In solidarity, Jerry